Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pastoral Supervision

The Faith Formation cluster is forming new pastoral supervision groups to begin in January, 2010. Each group (3 persons) meets once a month for 2 ½ hours at a location convenient to the members. Groups have a supervisor trained in pastoral supervision.

Pastoral supervision is a nonjudgmental process that helps the minister look at his/her strengths as well as those parts of the self to which one is often “blind” and yet nevertheless get played out in ministry. The following is a testimony given by a pastoral associate who has been in supervision for five months.

I joined a ministry supervision group at the beginning of spring. I had been a participant in ALMI’s “Discipleship Specialization” and greatly enjoyed the program. It had given me time to meet and form bonds with others in a small group setting. We were able to talk and reflect upon our experiences in order to discern to what and where God was leading us. I really missed that and when I saw the opportunity for that sort of experience in supervision, I felt it may help fill that void.

In supervision, I have been able to meet and form relationships with others who are in similar ministry positions. The three of us are in large parishes in the Archdiocese. In the largest of parishes, it is easy to become isolated in your ministry. There is so much that goes on all the time that you sometimes slip into a pattern of doing, but not always being conscious of what you’re doing or even why. You often make decisions in your ministry and after the situation occurs, wonder “why did I do that?” It’s often hard to discuss this with those you work with for various reasons--confidentiality, office relations, etc. And finally, ministry sometimes becomes lonely.

Supervision has helped me with all of these difficulties. When I get together with my group, I can relay situations that have happened and get quiet time to reflect upon these times. I’m able to discuss it with people who will be vigilant in their confidentiality and most importantly, non-judgmental. We can discuss it as peers. In my case, it helps that they are also from large parishes as there is a certain understanding in how the operations in these churches work. And finally, it’s a great thing to be with people who, while they may not have the same situation, are in similar positions and can understand you on a different level. I know that when we get together, there will be time to talk, time to be quiet and time to pray.
I have greatly enjoyed this experience and would encourage everyone to take the time to do this for their ministry and themselves.


For more information regarding the process of pastoral supervision please contact Michelle Herberger, or to find out dates and locations of upcoming groups contact Linda McLemore, at 502-448-8581.

No comments: